A lovely 1866 Steinway & Sons concert grand piano with rosewood case. The elegantly carved Rococo-style scrolled legs and ornate foliate details are ebonized, producing a striking contrast against the case, while the pierced and carved music rack and pedal lyre further display the masterful construction and design elements. The interior of the piano displays a plaque that reads: "Steinway & Sons PAT Nov. 29 Dec. 20 1859, June 5, 1866 New York". Henry Engelhard Steinway and his family emigrated from Germany to the United States in 1850. In 1853, the Steinway & Sons company was founded in a Manhattan loft on Varick Street, and quickly they became known for making pianos of high quality and for innovations within the area of piano development, winning their first gold medal in 1855 at the American Institute Fair at the New York Crystal Palace. From 1855 to 1862, Steinway pianos received 35 gold medals and several awards followed, including 3 medals at the International Exposition of 1867 in Paris. In 1867, Steinway became the first American manufacturer to receive the “Grand Gold Medal of Honor” at the Paris piano exhibition.
Date: c. 1866
Dimensions: 38 x 58 x 103.5 in.