Steinway Butt-Cut Veneer and Inlay Marquetry Concert Grand Piano

By Anthonys Fine Art & Antiques

$175,000.00

An extraordinary nineteenth-century Steinway concert grand piano with a case that is entirely decorated with butt cut veneer and ornate inlay marquetry designs on all sides, including the lid and fall board, and raised on six carved twisting legs, the front legs connected by a stretcher carrying the lyre and pedals. The sound board is marked with the Steinway & Sons distinguished manufacturing decal. The music rack is inlaid with scrolling foliage around a central cartouche with the Latin inscription:

Musica Disparium Dulcis
Concordia Vocum Pello
Levo Placo Tristia
Corda Deos

[Music, the sweet harmony of disparite voices, banishes sorrow, lightens hearts, and appeases God.]

Measures:

Height open: 70 inches
Height closed: 39 ¼ inches
Width: 60 inches
Depth: 68 inches
Henry Engelhard Steinway and his family emigrated from Germany to the United States in 1850. In 1853, the Steinway & Sons company was founded in a Manhattan loft on Varick Street, and quickly they became known for making pianos of high quality and for innovations within the area of piano development, winning their first gold medal in 1855 at the American Institute Fair at the New York Crystal Palace. From 1855 to 1862, Steinway pianos received 35 gold medals and several awards followed, including 3 medals at the International Exposition of 1867 in Paris. In 1867, Steinway became the first American manufacturer to receive the “Grand Gold Medal of Honor” at the Paris piano exhibition.