An English, mid-nineteenth century, c. 1929, Huntley & Palmers biscuit tin in the form of a grandfather clock, lithographed black and gold with Chinoiserie scenes and accented with orange and blue detail. Both of the moveable clock hands are present, but the piece is missing its removable lid.
Huntley & Palmers started life in 1822 as a small bakery founded by Thomas Huntley in London Street. George Palmer, who was a distant Quaker cousin, entered into partnership with Thomas Huntley in 1841. George was ambitious and in 1846 he opened a large factory on Kings Road.
With the Palmer factory in operation, Huntley & Palmers became the world's largest biscuit manufacturer by 1900. The company was increasingly famous for its innovative and decorative biscuit tins, made by its sister company Huntley, Boorne & Stevens.