A 1912 Huntley and Palmers biscuit tin in the shape of a glazed china cabinet displaying various pieces of Chinese-style porcelain, including china bowls, plates and vases. From the end of the nineteenth century Huntley & Palmers issued tins that were shaped as actual objects. Initially handbags and books were produced and their popularity with consumers led to more adventurous designs such as this simulated wooden cabinet on raised feet. Measures: 7 ¼ x 5 ¾ x 3 ½ in.
Huntley & Palmers started life in 1822 as a small bakery founded by Thomas Huntley in London Street. George Palmer, who was a distant Quaker cousin, entered into partnership with Thomas Huntley in 1841. George was ambitious and in 1846 he opened a large factory on Kings Road.
With the Palmer factory in operation, Huntley & Palmers became the world's largest biscuit manufacturer by 1900. The company was increasingly famous for its innovative and decorative biscuit tins, made by its sister company Huntley, Boorne & Stevens.