A Huntley and Palmers biscuit tin in the shape of a bookstand, with books and bindings viewed from all sides, and raised on bun feet. The lid lifts to reveal an engraved marking that reads: "Huntley & Palmers Biscuits Reading & London". The tin was created c. 1905 and measures:
6 ¼ x 5 x 4 ¼ in.
Huntley & Palmers started life in 1822 as a small bakery founded by Thomas Huntley in London Street. George Palmer, who was a distant Quaker cousin, entered into partnership with Thomas Huntley in 1841. George was ambitious and in 1846 he opened a large factory on Kings Road.
With the Palmer factory in operation, Huntley & Palmers became the world's largest biscuit manufacturer by 1900. The company was increasingly famous for its innovative and decorative biscuit tins, made by its sister company Huntley, Boorne & Stevens.