Oil on canvas
18 ¼ x 14 inches, 23 ½ x 19 ½ inches framed.
Born in 1842, Gustav Igler was a genre painter who began his formal training in Vienna 1858 under Ferdinand Waldmueller (Austrian 1793-1861) before settling in Munich ten years later. In 1888, he was called to the Academy in Stuttgart to become the Principal of technical painting. Upon retiring in 1914, Igler returned to Munich.